What’s Your Chance of an IRS Audit?

The IRS publishes statistics regarding the percentage of returns that have been examined by type of return. Not surprisingly, some taxpayers have a greater chance of being audited than others according to the latest statistics. Let’s take a look at some stats:

The majority of audits, 74.8%, were conducted via correspondence, and the remaining 25.2% were conducted in the field.

Overall audit rate: The overall audit rate is .5%, but the audit rate of individual returns is .6%.

Corporate audit rates:

.9% for all corporate returns, excluding s-corporations

8.1% for large corporations with assets of $10M or more

.2% for s-corp returns

Individual audit rates:

2.4% for returns with business income and gross receipts of $100,000 to $200,000

3.2% for returns with positive income of $1M or more

.2% for returns with income lower than $200,000, no Earned Income Tax Credit, no business income or rental income.

If you read the footnotes of the statistics, it appears that 37% of individual returns that were selected for examination were due to a taxpayer claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Also, the statistics do not include several million CP2000 notices that are sent to taxpayers each year when there is a mismatch between what is reported on their tax return and what is reported to the IRS. If those notices were included, then the audit rate would be much higher.

If you like what you just read then don’t hesitate to forward/share with your friends and click “Like” on LinkedIn

Make sure to subscribe to our weekly emails to receive practical business, financial and tax strategies! Sign Up Now!